All employers want a healthy workforce with a high level of productivity. In recent years, initiatives around the world have driven, for example, the use of bicycles. This not only because of the issue of pollution, but also to stimulate the practice of exercise in workers. Since "sport is health", employees arrive more revitalized and with more energy to their workplace.
According to Laura dos Santos of FITBOOK, the practice of exercise, especially in the morning, stimulates the release of endorphins, the hormones responsible for improving our mood, increasing self-esteem and reducing stress. Precisely, the latter is one of the most frequently attacking workers. Complicated or routine jobs dent the productivity of any employee.
For these reasons, some work centers have also tried to introduce a work methodology with rest periods and others for the practice of exercise. Although it is not possible to have 100% staff working all the time, physical activity can substantially increase their efficiency.
Exercise increases endorphins, a neurotransmitter that relieves pain in the body and increases the feeling of well-being and happiness. It produces the same effect as opiates, such as heroin or morphine, but without their side effects. The body produces endorphins during arousal, pain or when eating some food.
Evidently, physical activity Increase emotions. Those who exercise before working will go with high energy levels and greater mental well-being. Wouldn't it be good for the business? In addition, there are positive effects on the cognitive ability of those who exercise regularly.
According to a study conducted by the American company Gympass, exercising continuously (four days a week) improves work performance by up to 300%. Research and results have led many companies, mainly in the United States, to prepare spaces for the exclusive practice of physical activity.
- Capacity of concentration. Science has shown that spending more hours at work does not mean more production. But a constant sporting activity does have benefits, among which the increase in worker concentration levels stands out.
- It improves the attitude. In general, sport favors the person's attitude towards their daily responsibilities. In addition, it improves the self-esteem of workers. A renewed attitude positively influences decision making and negotiations.
- Teamwork. Performing physical activities in a group also has benefits. People develop a link that will be reflected in the performance of their work. Commitment and feelings are strengthened. All this leads to a better working environment and conflict reduction.
- Strengthens memory. As people get physically stronger, the hippocampus, part of the brain associated with learning and memory, develops. In fact, in Germany a study showed that riding a bicycle and walking – while learning a foreign language – helps improve vocabulary.
- Boost creativity. Research conducted by psychologists in the United States revealed that walking in the middle of the workday drives divergent thinking. The generation of ideas increases, so a work break also has benefits for the company.
As we can see, physical and sports activity has advantages for both parties, employer and worker. Now how to start? Maybe installing sports machines has a very high cost, but we can start with simple things, such as promoting the use of the bicycle to go to work, using stairs instead of the elevator, organizing walks, etc.
We can also offer gym memberships with special discounts. They are simple ways to stimulate the practice of exercise in our collaborators. Of course, bosses must also set an example.