The whole essence of the community is changing. A population of streaming artists is finding their audience in a more efficient and specific way than with the traditional music marketing.
Instead of investing large capital by bombarding television, radio and print, Internet artists and their teams are able to find their exact audiences, focusing on relevance and interaction beyond reach and scale.
The traditional model is great for creating the core of the brands, but much of that impact of the brands is reversed or they are not interested in the artist.
The niche is the new mainstream. The specific has surpassed the general. But many brand marketers fear that, unless they use mass media platforms, they will not be able to make their brands scale nationally and / or globally. It may be true in part, but that's how the future looks and new disciplines and objectives within marketing are needed.
Below we present some trends based on analysis by the MIDiA Research consultancy.
This firm has been studying the best television shows on a quarterly basis since the last quarter of 2016 to learn more about its service, its community, its reception and its transmission.
Since the beginning of 2019 they have been doing the same for the artists, changing the reception by reproduction. The metrics provide a better picture of the total impact of an artist's brand and its consumption, while the ratios between these metrics give a unique perspective of how individual artists are performing and what the impact of their respective marketing strategies is like.
In the graph above, using the consumer data component of the indicator created by the firm itself, a sample of five artists that represent the midpoint of each third of the rankings (for example, top, middle and bottom) have been taken. for two of these ratios:
- Fandom-to-streaming, which we call Streaming Conversion.
- Awareness-to-fandom, which we call Brand Conversion.
The results show very clear groups of artists, with very clear implications for the success of the artists and the marketing strategy.
- Stars emerging from streaming: These artists have twice as many people streaming through as they have seen from fans. These artists are mostly young, outstanding artists who are building and developing their musical careers through streaming platforms. These are artists who have not yet built their fan base, but are being driven by their labels in these areas. His reproductions are driven by promotional activities. Pusha-T is the exception, as he is an artist who has more time established.
- Established artists: These artists are well established artists whose penetration in the audience is correlated with their fan base. His reproductions are mostly organic. Dua Lipa is the exception, as he is still at an early stage of his career, but he has nevertheless managed to establish a fairly solid fan base, which drives organic reproductions.
- Super stars with little streaming: These are artists who have built their career in the pre-streaming era, and while it is true that their names are well recognized, their streaming audiences are smaller than their fan base, and their audiences have not been able to migrate well. these platforms.
- Super stars and heritage artists: Most people who know these great artists like them. In some ways, the conversion of the brand is a simpler task for this type of artists compared to others. Because they have been around for so long, it tends to be better than people imagine. The fact that Queen has outdone The Beatles is an example of how the Bohemian Rhapsody film has created a new relevance for the band.
- Great artistic brands – This eclectic mix of artists are all those well-established artists who have benefited from the years of brand marketing support, almost more than half of the people who know them like them – except for Julia Michaels –
- Over-extended marks: One of the most important changes brought by social networks and streaming is that the fan bases no longer need to be developed through the mass media. However, the great artists, especially those who belong to big brands, are still depending on the mass media to become global stars. The result is a large amount of capital invested in marketing. In this group, which is dominated mainly by Hip-Hop artists, more than half of the people who have come to know them do not like them. Marketing money that has been invested has not been converted.
Did you like the article?